Science has known about substances it calls Vitamins for over 100 years.
- It knows they are organic substances (contain carbon)
- It knows they are essential in small quantities for normal metabolism, growth and physical well-being.
- It knows they are vital participants in chemical reactions in our cells,
- It knows they need to be taken in as food stuffs or supplements as the body either cannot synthesize them at all or not in sufficient quantity.
- It does not know exactly how they all work or how they interact with each other and other food stuffs.
As well as organic Vitamins the body must have a regular intake of inorganic chemical elements which are known as Dietary Minerals and trace elements.
Dietary Minerals include compounds of elements such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, sulphur, and chlorine
Trace elements known to be required for humans are iron, iodine, copper, manganese, zinc, molybdenum, selenium, chromium